The NMSU Climbing Wall is CURRENTLY CLOSED in accordance with the most recent Public Health Order.
Monday-Friday: 2:00pm-9pm (last reservation at 8:00pm)
Saturday-Sunday: 11:30am-5pm (last reservation at 4:00pm)
Students who would like to reserve a one hour session for climbing can do so by signing up and logging in at www.imleagues.com using their NMSU email. Once logged in, click the Reservations tab. Select a location, date and session to sign up. NMSU banner number must be provided.
- A session is one reservation, per person, per day. We do ask that climbers start packing up 5 minutes before the session ends.
- Reservations can be made up to 24 hours prior to a session, and must be made 1 hour before session begins.
- Face masks must be worn inside the building at all times. No exceptions.
- Temperature checks will be conducted using a non-contact forehead infrared thermometer. Anyone with a temperature of 100.4F will be sent away.
- Reservations will be verified by using a valid NMSU ID.
We ask patrons to adhere to a few additional protocols at this time:
- There will be no equipment rental at the climbing wall.
- Equipment may be checked out from the Outdoor Center.
- Climbers must wash or sanitize hands before each climb.
- Only alcohol based climbing chalk will be allowed. It will be provided for your convenience.
- Climbers may not share any equipment.
- Climbers must practice social distancing while recreating.
- Personal climbing shoes must be sanitized before climbing.
- One person climbing per area at a time.
- No Lead Climbing.
- No clinics will be offered at this time.
- Climbers will be instructed to make eye contact when communicating climbing commands to ensure clear communication while wearing masks.
The NMSU Climbing Wall stands 28’ tall and has ten ropes for top rope climbing. Fixed anchors and quick draws allow for lead climbing, upon certification. Outdoor Rec student staff work hard creating new and challenging routes on a weekly basis, so there’s always fresh lines between 5.5 and 5.12 to project and send. The bouldering wall section is steep, burly, and demanding. Climbers are able to top out, and there is always 20-30 problems in the V0-V7 range. Used heavily during the fall and spring semesters, it has new routes set every month, and prior to Competitions and Semester change.
NMSU Activity Center Room 130
1600 Stewart St
Las Cruces, NM 88003
The climbing wall is available for full time students and Aggie Fit members. (At this time, only full time students from main campus are eligible to use the facility.) All climbers must sign a waiver and pass an orientation prior to using the NMSU Climbing Wall. If you are already skilled in climbing and belaying, you may opt to pass a skills check instead of attending a full belay clinic. Come by and sharpen your climbing and bouldering skills!
Clinics (No clinics offered at this time.)
Top Rope Belay Clinics:
Get belayed certified! The NMSU belay certification allows you to climb and belay on top rope. Walk-ins all semester long!
*When: Mondays and Tuesdays 6pm-8pm
Get certified to lead climb! The NMSU lead certification allows you to lead climb and belay on the big wall.
*When: Wednesdays 6pm-8pm
Sign ups are held at the climbing wall, 30 minutes prior to the start of the Clinic. There must be a minimum of two people signed up on the day prior to the clinic. Ask the Climbing Wall Staff for more information.
*No belay classes during the summer, and belay skills can be taught at the discretion of the Climbing Wall Attendant
Bouldering Competitions (No Competitions at this time)
NMSU Outdoor Recreation hosts a bouldering competition each fall and spring semester. Compete with other students or push yourself to new heights with boulder problems specially set for each competition! The scores will be collected and awards will be given to the top three female and male in each beginner and advanced categories. There will also be prize drawings for those who submit scorecards. All bouldering competitions will be a part of the Aggie Cup!
Date: April 16, 2020
Time: 3:30pm-8:00pm. Awards will begin at 8:15pm.
Where: NMSU Climbing Wall
No registration is needed, just show up at the climbing wall on the day of competition. There is no cost to participate, and only students are eligible.
Climbing Wall Reservations (No group reservations at this time)
The Climbing Wall can be reserved for group functions. Our staff will facilitate the use of the wall and provide basic climbing instruction.
NMSU Organizations, Public Schools, and Non-Profit Organizations
|Participants||16 or less||17-24||24-30|
|Participants||16 or less||17-24||24-30|
Click here to make your reservation!