The NMSU Outdoor Leadership Program (OLP) prepares students to plan, implement and lead outdoor recreation activities for the NMSU student body. Participants receive training in group dynamics, teaching techniques, risk management, wilderness first aid, Leave No Trace ethics, and outdoor skill sets such as backpacking and rock climbing. Each semester, the OLP seeks highly motivated students who want to enrich their college experience by increasing their leadership skill sets. The OLP equips its students with practical leadership experiences to compliment their academic degrees and give them the edge in the job market after graduation. Get the most out of your college years, challenge yourself, and apply!
- Current NMSU main campus undergraduate or graduate student in good standing with two semesters or more left for completion of graduation requirements.
- Maintain a cumulative 2.5 GPA or above.
- Maintain full time student status during Fall and Spring semesters.
- Must possess a valid and violation free driver’s license.
- Lift, balance, and carry personal and group equipment between 35-50lbs.
- Interest in outdoor activities.
- Desire to learn how to teach, lead, supervise, and provide fun and meaningful activities for the NMSU student body on campus and in outdoor environments.
A qualified student is one who meets the OLP’s eligibility requirements with or without reasonable accommodation. A student with a documented disability is entitled to receive a reasonable accommodation that will effectively enable them to participate in the Outdoor Leadership Program.
For additional information, contact Sasha Garcia at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications are accepted every Fall and Spring semester. Applications must include:
- OLP Application Form (download)
- Letter of Interest
Check back for the application deadline for Spring 2016. Please submit application packets to room 230 of the Activity Center.