- Lifeguard instructor candidates must be at least 17 years of age on or before the last scheduled day of the instructor course.
- Candidates must possess a lifeguarding certificate issued within the past four years, and CPR/PRO certificate.
- Candidates must successfully complete the precourse session:
- Passing the precourse written exam with a score of 80 percent or higher for each of the three sections and demonstrating competency in the precourse skills and scenarios evaluation.
- Swimming 300 yards continuous using the front crawl, breaststroke, or a combination of both.
- Surface dive, retrieve a 10 pound brick, surface and swim 20 yards while carrying the brick in both hands within 1 minute and 40 seconds.
- Demonstrate competency in ALL Lifeguarding, First Aid and CPR skills.
- Complete the online component.
- Online fee: $35.00
- Materials can be purchased at the Aquatic Center or at the local Red Cross chapter.
- Lifeguard Instructor Manual: $35.00+tax
- Resuscitation Mask: $10.00 +tax
- New Mexico State University Aquatic Center
- December 15-19, 2014
- Registration will begin one month prior to the class date, at the NMSU Aquatic Center. Payment for course and course materials will be required on the first scheduled class after the successful completion of the prerequisites.
12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Escape to Breckenridge Ski Resort for two whole days of skiing and snowboarding in an authentic mining town!
Fee: $215.00 (Cost includes: hotel room for 3 nights, and transportation)
09:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Instructor candidates are trained to teach basic-level Lifeguarding, Waterfront Lifeguarding, Waterpark Lifeguarding and Shallow Water Attendant (all including first aid), Lifeguard Management, CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer, Administering Emergency Oxygen, Bloodborne Pathogens Training: Preventing Disease Transmission and Basic Water Rescue courses. Instructor candidates will become familiar with GuardStart: Lifeguarding Tomorrow and the Water Safety presentations.